Friday, November 6, 2009

The Two Cups



I was just in my kitchen getting my brother a glass of water.
While I was filling up his little cup with the sucky thing in it, he reached into the drawer and pulled out this not as good, no plastic sucky thing to go in the lid, and starts to put the lid on it. I walked over and said,
"Hey, buddy. Want your water cup?"
He looked at me like I had two heads. I'm sure he was thinking- I have a cup. See? So then he started to try and drink out of it. There was no water in this cup. He looked up at me.
I tried again- "Yo! Buddy! This cup has water and ice cubes in it!"
This time, he reached for it, handed me the empty one, then I gave him the cup filled with cool water.
I thought to myself how this is kind of like what Christ did for us. We reached in out of our own accord and tried to get water out of a cup that would never satisfy. When Christ first offered us a change, a chance to get the satisfying water, we probably said, "Nah. I want to try on my own to get water." We were blind to the fact that God was offering us this free gift that would forever satisfy, and tried to do it our own way. But we realized after trying to get water, that our way didn't work and that we would have to trust God and ask Him for the living water. And when we reach for it, God will give us the satisfying water.
John 4:7-15
When a Samaritan woman came to draw water, Jesus said to her, "Will you give me a drink?" (His disciples had gone into the town to buy food).
The Samaritan woman said to him, "You are a Jew, and I a Samaritan woman. How can you ask me for a drink?" (For Jews did not associate with Samaritans.)
Jesus answered her, "If you knew the gift of God and who it is that asks you for a drink, you would have asked him and he would have given you living water."
"Sir," the woman said, "you have nothing to draw with and the well is deep. Where can you get this living water? Are you greater than our father Jacob, who gave us the well and drank from it himself, as did also his sons and his flocks and herds?"
Jesus answered, "Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become a spring of water welling up to eternal life."
The woman said to him, "Sir, give me this water..."
Jesus, thank you for the living water that you offer to everyone who calls on you.
K.A.S.