Sunday, November 7, 2010

From Dreaming To Waking- C.S. Lewis

“This is how I distinguish dreaming and waking. When I am awake I can, in some degree, account for and study my dream. The dragon that pursued me last night can be fitted into my waking world.

DSC07738

 

 

I know that there are such things as dreams; I know that I had eaten an indigestible dinner; I know that a man of my reading might be expected to dream of dragons. But while in a nightmare I could not have fitted in my waking experience.

DSC07773

The waking world is judged to be more real because it can thus contain the dreaming world; the dreaming world is judged less real because it cannot contain the waking one.

PICT3806

For the same reason, I am certain that in passing from the scientific points of view to the theological, I have passed from dreaming to waking. Christian theology can fit in science, art, morality, and the sub-Christian religions.

DSC08092

The scientific view point cannot fit into any of these things, not even science itself. I believe in Christianity as I believe in that the Sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.”

DSC07736

-From “Is Theology Poetry?” (The Weight of Glory) by C.S. Lewis

(kaye ann silver)

No comments: