Saturday, April 10, 2010

World Vision


I am reading a book- The Hole in our Gospel by Richard Stearns, the president of World Vision U.S. It is a call for American Christians to stop just going to church, giving a little money, and moving on. Stearns calls everyone to start walking out our faith by helping the desperate needs of our time.


"What does God expect of us? Is our faith just about going to church, studying the Bible and avoiding the most serious sins- or does God expect more? Have we embraced the whole gospel, or a gospel with a hole in it?
Ten years ago, Rich Stearns came face-to-face with that question as he sat in a mud hut in Rakai, Uganda, listening to the heartbreaking story of an orphaned child. Stearns' journey there took much more than a long flight to Africa. It took answering God's call on his life, a call that tore him out of his corner office (Kaye here... he was the CEO of Lennox) at one of America's most prestigous corporations- to walk with the poorest of the poor in our world. (Kaye again... he is now the president of World Vision).
The Hole in Our Gospel is the compelling trure story of a corporate CEO who set aside worldly success for something far more significant, and discovered the full power of the gospel of Jesus Christ to change his own life. He uses his journey to demonstrate how the gospel- the whole gospel- was always meant to be a world-changing social revolution, a revolution that begins in us."
-back cover, A Hole in Our Gospel

It is a desperate call from a man who has seen the work of the Lord do great things in countries around the world who are desperate for aid and how he is determined that if we all gave of ourselves, we could change the whole world.

One thing that struck me while reading this is the ammount of water that I use all day. I turn on a faucet, rinse out my toothbrush, wash my hands, drink, and cook with water all the time.

There is some statistics I'd like to share that shook me:

"As many as five million people die every year of water-related illnesses...Thousands of hours are lost seeking and hauling water, especially by women. These are hours that could be spent earning an income or contributing to the well-being of the family and community. This same task affects children too: millions are unable to attend school because of the hours they spend fetching water.           -Richard Stearns, Hole in Our Gospel
Water has many affects on a community. The need of it can cause more hardships and work to be made, or the benefit of having a clean water well can benefit the entire community.

Think of it! If water were readily available to those who had to travel distances to get it, women could help at home more, aiding their production of food. More children could go to school, decreasing the illiteracy in the world. Men wouldn't have to run back and forth for water all day and start farming or helping out in the local industries.

Think of it!!

Why am I just sitting on my hands, pointing fingers and not up and out helping in any way I can?

After praying about it a few nights, I asked the Lord to show me something-anything- I could do to help those who are desperately in need around the world today. I felt the Lord leading me to give to World Vision.

I wasn't totally certain that this was the place to donate, so I prayed and waited some more.

Yesterday, the World Vision Catalog showed up.

I shook my head. Message recieved, Lord.

"Sometimes I would like to ask God why He allows poverty, suffering, and injustice when He could do something about it."
"Well, why don't you?"
"Because I'm afraid He would aske me the same thing." -Anonymous
The catalog has things that you can purchase for families aroundt the world- cows, chickens, goats, sewing machines for single moms, water wells!, emergency food, clothing, school supplies, farming supplies, seeds, plows, fishing kits, medicines, and more.

You could even give money to build and stock a health center, school, or home for orphans!

I am still deciding and saving up some more money before I choose what to donate.

If you would like to help out a family in need anywhere in the world, even the U.S., click here to go to the World Vision site.
To see a copy of their catalog, click here!
To find out more about The Hole in Our Gospel by Richard Stearns, click here!

My family has bought chickens and ducks in the past, and it is such fun!

There will always be poor people in the land. Therefore I command you to be openhanded toward your brothers and toward the poor and needy in your land. -Deuteronomy 15:11
 Kaye

No comments: