Sunday, September 5, 2010

A Glimpse of History

This weekend we took the long drive down to the place where our family's name is known and where our roots sink deep into history.

When my great grandparents of long ago left Germany for a new life in the United States, they moved to Iowa.

A few cities in Iowa hold family to us. Two with my grandma's history, another area with my grandfather's. This trip was to visit my grandmother's area of Iowa.

This weekend, a cousin of my dad was married in a church that means something to important to our family.


This church is church my grandma grew up going to, and the same church where my grandparents were married.

I don't know about you, but learning about my history- where I come from- means a lot to me.

The wedding was beautiful. She sparkled in her dress, and he was as happy as could be.

After the ceremony while we were standing outside, what made me smile the most was meeting my two great-great aunts, who still look stunningly beautiful.
And as we stood outside and I watched the cars of now family roll on to the reception hall, I couldn't help but think what a large family we had.

But how much larger is the family of believers linked through the saving grace of Christ. And what a tremendous blessing and priviledge it is to be related to all those who are committed to Christ.

How amazing it was to speak with relatives of my Silver family.

But even more how wonderful it will be to one day sit at a table in heaven with all of us worshiping the one who deserves all the glory for this family and the generations to come.
(kaye ann silver)

No comments: